COOKIES ON Westmeath Examiner

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Westmeath Examiner website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.

ACCEPT

Former Christian Brother remanded on indecent assault charges

Thursday, 15th May, 2014 5:08pm

Former Christian Brother remanded on indecent assault charges

Tom McCarry leaving Mullingar Courthouse after a previous hearing.

A former Christian Brother, who had been based in Mullingar in the 1980s, has been remanded on bail in relation to twenty alleged indecent assaults on two named boys. 

A former Christian Brother, who had been based in Mullingar in the 1980s, has been remanded on bail in relation to twenty alleged assaults on two named boys. Thomas McCarry, Clareville, 89A Finglas Road, Glasnevin, Dublin appeared before Judge Seamus Hughes at Mullingar District Court this afternoon.

The court heard Mr McCarry is currently awaiting sentence in relation to previous charges of indecent assault on two other juveniles who had attended St Mary’s CBS in the town.

The charges against the accused relate to offences which are alleged to have occurred on dates between October 1, 1986 and June 30, 1987.

Garda Eric Naughton, Mullingar, who gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution, told Judge Hughes that when each of the charges was put to the accused, he had no comment to make.

Questioned by Judge Hughes, defence solicitor Bobbie Eagar, of Sheehan and Partners, said a change in penalties for such offences some years ago, meant the maximum sentence is now two years.

Det Garda Naughton told the court that the victims had no difficulty with the defendant being named publically.

Judge Hughes remanded Mr McCarry on bail, on certain conditions, to a sitting of Mullingar District Court on June 5 next for the service of a book of evidence.

SHARE