Andrew Gorman in possession for Moate All Whites.

Egan points the way for unbeaten Tyrrellspass

Shay Murtagh Precast SFC Section 'B': Tyrrellspass 0-15, Moate All Whites 0-6

Gerry Buckley reports

Tyrrellspass’ prospects of reaching the quarter-finals of the Flanagan Cup were further enhanced in unpleasant conditions at TEG Cusack Park last Saturday evening when they won their consecutive Section B match by an unflattering nine-point margin against a very disappointing Moate All Whites outfit.

Moate almost got in for a second-minute goal, but had to be satisfied with a converted free from Eoin Ronaldson moments later. That early pressure proved to be a false dawn for John Twaddle’s troops, as their opponents went on to score six unanswered points during the ensuing nine minutes to gain control of the match.

The half a dozen white flags were raised by Westmeath star Ger Egan (three – a delightful brace from open play and a difficult free), impressive veteran Denis Glennon (shortly after an unsuccessful ‘45’), Evan Connell, and Nigel Harte (a fine solo effort). Billy Berry (after soloing goalward) and Egan (a free) then traded points to leave Tyrrellspass ahead by 0-7 to 0-2 midway through the first moiety.

That man Egan was again the dominant player on show in the second quarter despite untypically missing a scoreable free in the 17th minute. He pounced for two fine points from play – the first at the end of a counterattack after Moate had been turned over in a good position, and the second at the end of a patient move. Dean McNicholas made it double figures for the men in sky blue and navy, and they led by 0-10 to 0-2 at the interval.

The All Whites spurned two good opportunities in the opening stages of the second half – poor shooting and decision-making from a range of players would haunt them for virtually the entire half.

A great solo run from Glennon teed up Peter Pierson for a well-taken point in the 35th minute, and Egan set up Aaron O’Brien who pointed when a goal beckoned a minute later.

Ruairí Cunningham registered Moate’s third point in the 39th minute at the end of a laboured move, but a couple of poor wides followed at the same end. Connell’s low-trajectory point in the 44th minute left the winners in front by 0-13 to 0-3 at the end of the third quarter.

Both sides failed to convert ‘45’s before Ray Sheridan’s men completed their tally with a point apiece from Egan (a free) and the lively Connell (to complete his hat-trick from open play).

Moate had the small consolation of scoring the last three points of the match courtesy of Robbie Forde and Donaldson (right- and left-footed frees respectively), and sub Paul Sheridan (the ball just reaching its target with the second last kick of the game).

Scorers – Tyrrellspass: G Egan 0-7 (3f), E Connell 0-3, N Harte, P Pierson, D McNicholas, A O’Brien and D Glennon 0-1 each. Moate: E Ronaldson 0-2 (2f), R Forde (f), R Cunningham, B Berry and P Sheridan 0-1 each.

Tyrrellspass: James Quinn; Stephen Quinn, Jamie Corcoran, Jamie Gonoud; Val Sizychas, Conor Slevin, Nigel Harte; Denis Glennon, David Lynam; Kieran Geraghty, Aaron O’Brien, Ger Egan; Peter Pierson, Dean McNicholas, Evan Connell. Subs used: Peter Clarke for Geraghty (45), Cathal Dunne for Lynam (47), Tommy Ryan for McNicholas (50), Brian Slevin for Pierson (54), Sean Deegan for Connell (57).

Moate All Whites: Richard Price; Dylan Ennis, Andrew Gorman, David Mullins; Philip King, Daragh Lowry, Fiachra Cunningham; Harry Niall, Ronan Conway; Gavin Murray, Robbie Forde, Conor Sheridan; Eoin Ronaldson, Ruairí Cunningham, Billy Berry. Subs used: Tobby Conteh for Ennis (h-t), Aaron O’Neill for Conway (42), Paul Sheridan for C Sheridan (49), Garbhan Cunningham for Berrry (54), Jake Fannin for F Cunningham (56).

Ref: Brendan Keena (Ballynacargy).