Colman’s Paidí Slevin in action in the Division 2 Hurling final on Tuesday.

Deadly duo lead St Tola’s to victory

St Tola's 4-13 St Colman's 3-5


A highly entertaining Division 2 hurling final went the way of Delvin’s St Tola’s NS, who overcame St Colman’s, Mullingar, at sunny TEG Cusack Park on Tuesday last, May 23.

In fairness, the final scoreline paints a false picture as this was much closer than the 11-point margin suggests.

St Colman’s made the early running and led by 2-5 to 0-8 at the end of a pulsating first half. Manus Kelly scored 2-2 of his side’s tally in those opening 20 minutes and it was those goals that gave the Mullingar side the edge.

The first of Kelly’s majors arrived in the eighth minute when a ball broke kindly close to goal and he belted home from close-


The second was a shot from distance that deceived the opposing ‘keeper to give St Colman’s a six-point lead.

However, a gripping contest turned full circle.

St Tola’s took the lead for the first time when Kyle Carty belted home a goal two minutes into the second half: Ben Loughlin went for goal initially and although the shot was blocked, Carty followed up to find the net.

After six minutes of the half came the second of St Tola’s goals when Michael Fitzgerald sent the ball to Denning who finished to the net. A fine point from Dara Clune made it 2-11 to 2-5 in St Tola’s favour and they were on the way to victory even at this early stage.

Finn Jacob’s goal ensured St Colman’s would not bow out easily. He finished a loose ball after Manus Kelly had made an incisive run. However, in a swift response, Kyle Carty drilled a free low to the net to restore that six-point advantage for the Delvin school.

Ben Loughlin set up Ryan Dennis for their fourth goal with eight minutes remaining and then came a wonderful team score.

Kyle Carty fielded superbly in midfield and sent a lovely diagonal ball to Ryan Denning, who scored a quality point.

Denning’s late free completed a terrific second half display by the successful St Tola’s side.

Afterwards, Derek Butler, Chairman of Cumann na mBunscol Iarmhí, presented the cup to Kyle Carty, who also picked up the player of the final accolade.

Scorers: St Tola’s: K Carty 2-4 (1-4f), R Denning 2-4 (0-1f), B Loughlin 0-3, D Clune 0-2. St Colman’s: M Kelly 2-2 (0-1f), F Jacob 1-0, M Brennan 0-2 (1f), P Slevin 0-1.

St Colman’s: Theo Kelly, David Connell, Conor Walters, Harry Brennan, Eddie Leavy, Michael Brennan, Páidí Slevin, Shay Leavy, Manus Kelly, Finn Jacob, Adam Mulligan, Josh Carr Markey, Dylan Doherty, Dylan Thornton, Devin Pentony, Donagh Andrews.

St Tola’s: Aidan Price, Conor Clune, Ben Denning, Liam Coyne, Dara Clune, Ben Loughlin, Kyle Carty, Billy Murray, Michael Fitzgerald, Ryan Denning, Patrick Gill, Ajay Gopalhakrishan, Tommy Murray, Patrick Evoy, Conor McEvoy, Rian Williams, Rhys Williams, Lorcan Massey, James Fox.

Ref: Jimmy Weldon (Lough Lene Gaels).