Caught driving without insurance for eighth time
A father of eight who got behind the wheel of a car for the eighth time without insurance has escaped a prison sentence and had an indicative 10-year driving ban being reduced to three years.
Martin Scally, Farran Ashe, Mullingar, Westmeath, had previously appeared at Mullingar District Court arising from an incident at Ashe Road, Mullingar on March 19, 2025.
He was subsequently charged with having no driving licence or insurance and came before Judge Susan Fay last year, when defence solicitor Louis Kiernan said a 60-hour community service order in lieu of six months in prison had been recommended.
Judge Owens said in light of the maximum six-month prison sentence for a section 56 charge and the fact Mr Scally had pleaded guilty, a more “appropriate” sentence, in her view, was four months in lieu of community service.
Having been told at that stage Mr Scally was a father of eight, Judge Owens told Mr Kiernan she would continue to outline the court’s stance in terms of sentencing before any “sob story” was given.
Sgt Orla Keenan said the accused had 33 previous convictions, the latest no insurance offence in September 2020, which resulted in a €200 fine.
When the details of that incident were read out, Mr Scally himself insisted there were mitigating factors. “I saved a man’s life that day,” he stated. “And Judge (Seamus) Hughes, God rest him, gave me some lenience.”
Mr Kiernan added how Mr Scally had co-operated with Probation Service personnel and asked the court to take account of how Mr Scally’s partner was also not driving at present.
Judge Owens said while the court was conscious of Mr Scally’s seven previous no insurance convictions. “I think a 10-year disqualification is disproportionate,” she said, adding how her comments were that of a “personal” standpoint as she banned Mr Scally from driving for three years.