‘That warrant was for someone else’: man professes innocence following drugs raid
A Westmeath man who was allegedly found with cocaine and cannabis following a drugs search at a residential property in Mullingar last year has told a court: “The warrant was for someone else.”
David Keena, 10 Balnamona View, Charlestown, Westmeath, issued the statement at last Thursday’s weekly District Court sitting as details concerning an incident at Walshestown North, Mullingar, Westmeath on June 29, 2025 were heard before Judge Bernadette Owens.
Sgt Orla Keenan said officers from the Westmeath Divisional Drugs Unit executed a search warrant at noon on that date and where approximately €200 of cocaine and a further €60 in cannabis were found.
The court heard how Mr Keena attended Mullingar Garda Station by appointment the following January, and he was later arrested there in connection to the incident.
The charges against Mr Keena included two Section 3, or “simple” possession of cocaine and cannabis for personal use, plus a more serious Section 15 sale or supply cocaine charge.
Following the state case, the 27-year-old shouted across the courtroom: “The warrant was for someone else.”
Judge Owens accepted jurisdiction and made a disclosure order for all state evidence to be forwarded to defence solicitor Louis Kiernan.
Mr Keena was also assigned legal aid after Mr Kiernan said his client was not currently in employment.
The case was adjourned and Mr Keena was remanded on bail to appear on April 9 when a plea or date for hearing is expected to be made.