Mullingar Courthouse.

Man to stand trial over alleged Mullingar assault

A man in his 20s is to stand trial accused of assault causing harm to another man in Mullingar almost two years ago.

Bonvie Ndefi (22) with an address at 100 Ardleigh Park, Mullingar, Westmeath, was charged in connection to an incident at Oliver Plunkett Street, Mullingar, Westmeath on March 23, 2024.

Mr Ndefi, who is in custody on other unrelated matters, was before Judge Bernadette Owens at last Thursday’s weekly court sitting for the purposes of arrest, charge and caution.

Garda Mervyn Henson said the accused made no reply after caution when the Section 3 charge was read out to him.

Sgt Orla Keenan said there were no state objections to bail being granted on the sole charge before the court, given that Mr Ndefi was in custody.

She also added directions had been received from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for the matter to go forward to the Circuit Criminal Court. That ruling, she said, contained a willingness for the DPP to accept a signed guilty plea, “should that arise” in due course.

Adam Dodd, for Mr Ndefi, said it was his understanding the charge his client stood accused of had previously been dismissed or struck out by the same court.

Judge Owens said that argument was one the court would not be in a position to hear at present and consented to the state’s request for a six-week adjournment to allow a book of evidence to be prepared.

Mr Ndefi was also granted legal aid following Mr Dodd’s address to the court in which he detailed how his client was out of work at present.

Judge Owens adjourned proceedings to a sitting of Mullingar District Court on March 26 for a book of evidence.