The taking-in-charge of Delvin’s Castletown Green has been postponed.

Three estates to be taken in charge as sewage concerns delay Delvin progress

The taking in charge of three housing estates in the Mullingar Kinnegad Municipal District was approved at the February meeting of the district, while a fourth estate in Delvin was removed from the list following concerns about possible sewage issues.

Those being taken in charge are Farranshock Park, Mullingar, with 213 units; The Cedars, Lakepoint Park, Mullingar, with 31 units; and numbers 15–18 and 36–39 The Gables, Lakepoint Park, Mullingar, comprising eight units.

Put on hold was Castletown Green, Delvin, comprising 60 units.

Senior executive planner Ian Lacey reminded councillors that, at a meeting on November 10, 2025, they had agreed to commence the taking in charge process for four estates. He said no submissions were received during the public consultation on any of the estates.

Mr Lacey told the meeting that the council continue to work with developers and Uisce Éireann to take unfinished estates to a standard that allows them to be taken in charge by the local authority.

Concerns were raised by Cllr David Jones in relation to Castletown Green, Delvin: he said residents had contacted him about alleged sewage problems at the front of the estate. He also referred to an ongoing boundary hedge issue affecting several homes.

District engineer Pat Kavanagh said that was the first time he had heard of any sewage issue at Castletown Green and suggested it could be minor or related to recent heavy rainfall, but confirmed it would be investigated.

Director of services Deirdre Reilly later asked councillors whether they wished to proceed with taking Castletown Green in charge.

Following discussion, it was agreed to remove the estate from the list pending further investigation.

The taking in charge of the remaining three estates was proposed by Cllr Ken Glynn and seconded by Cllr Bill Collentine.

During the same discussion, Cllr Aoife Davitt raised an issue regarding Lakepoint Park, asking whether ramps previously discussed at the entrance to The Cedars had been installed. She said it was important that when estates are taken in charge, all infrastructure, including roads and accessibility features, is fully completed.

Mr Kavanagh said the council can only enforce works that are included in planning conditions.

If ramps were not specified, the council could not compel a developer to install them, though he added the authority would examine what works could be carried out once the estate is taken in charge.

Cllr Denis Leonard raised separate concerns about estates in Killucan that have not yet been taken in charge, saying some snag list items were never completed and that sewage issues had arisen in the past. He also sought an update on St Etchen’s Court in Kinnegad, where the access road remains in private ownership.

Mr Kavanagh said some Killucan estates are listed for resurfacing and that, even where estates have not been taken in charge, the council has carried out works where public safety concerns existed. He acknowledged that sewage problems are often complex and costly to resolve.

Cllr Mick Dollard asked whether the extinguishment of a pedestrian right-of-way between The Cedars and The Close could now be examined, having previously tabled a motion on the matter. Mr Kavanagh said that could be considered once the estate is taken in charge, but suggested it may be preferable to address anti-social behaviour rather than close a pedestrian link.