Final chance to ready case over disturbance at Columb Barracks
The state has been given a final opportunity to compile its case against two men accused of producing a knife and large rock during a violent disturbance at Columb Barracks in Mullingar.
Othman Eladi (33), Columb Barracks, Mullingar, Westmeath and his co-accused Mohammad Soultana (25) 34 A 10 Oriel House, Dublin Road, Dundalk, Louth, were charged with producing a six-inch knife and large rock respectively at Columb Barracks on September 13 last year.
Mr Soultana, who failed to appear (a bench warrant was issued for his arrest) was also charged with criminal damage to a window on the same date.
Opening the state case, Sgt Sheila Kenny asked for an adjournment, saying a file was with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and directions were outstanding.
“It (file) was with the DPP and came back for clarification and was resubmitted on May 8,” she said.
Sgt Kenny appealed for the case not to be struck out “in the interests of justice” after an appeal for the court to do just that was made by defence solicitor Louis Kiernan.
“We (defendants) have been in court since September 18 last year. I respectfully submit that DPP directions should be fairly straightforward and ask that the matter is struck out,” he said.
Judge Owens said the only reason she would not accede to that request was the DPP had sent the file back on foot of a query.
The case was deferred to a court sitting on June 4 and the file marked “peremptory against the state”.
A bench warrant was ordered for the arrest of Mr Soultana after Mr Kiernan said he was not in a position to provide an explanation for his non-appearance.